Dear Friends of Zion:
With thanks to you for prayers and offerings, we send this month’s prayer letter.
A PSYCHOLOGIST CALLED from an alcohol and drug rehabilitation center in a nearby city, requesting help to understand the problems of a Jewish patient Pastor Alexandre whom I have known for many years. We told them he suffers deep-rooted traumas related to the Holocaust. He professed Christ and overcame alcoholism for many years, but a recent bout of depression led him to drink again. We gave a sound witness at the rehab and introduced a pastor who can follow through with visits and hopefully help others, as well.
CHURCHES: 1) THE GUACURI PROJECT is moving slowly. Because of the poor transportation and distances from which the deaf people travel to attend services, an idea is emerging that could lead to various local church deaf ministries and maybe one more church. Endless delays and modifications are to be expected in Brazil. Praise the Lord He is helping all of us involved in the project to work patiently through the difficulties and opportunities as they arise. 2) THE ARACATI CHURCH is going very well. The investment you helped us make on a small addition to their building motivated them to go further than they had originally planned. With funds they raised themselves they have constructed a second floor above their parking area, which will provide five new classrooms and two bathrooms. The pastor baptized four people last month and has 19 more signed up for baptismal and church membership classes. 3) THE CAJURU CHURCH has started a Bible institute with 21 students. Our first church, Templo Batista de Indianópolis, sent them more than 20 desks.
PROFESSOR DAVID CORRÊA had the bone marrow transplant and is now recuperating. It is too early to tell if the transplant is taking effect. We must continue to pray and wait on the Lord.
CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR THE CONFERENCE ON “CHURCH GROWTH BY SOUL WINNING AND DISCIPLESHIP” to be held in July. Pray that the Lord will provide funds from Brazil or abroad so that pastors and their wives from newer, smaller churches might attend. May God continue to bless!
Yours for the Messiah,
Tom and Linda Gilmer
1. Professions of faith: 2.
2. Bone marrow transplant for Professor David Corrêa has been done.
3. Progress, albeit at snail’s pace, on Guacuri church project.
4. Aracati church progressing well.
5. Bible institute in Cajuru church.
6. Privilege to help a Brazilian immigrant to Sicily, Italy, with plans for a church there.
1. Salvation of Jews and Gentiles.
2. Bible study helps preparation.
3. New churches; growth of existing ones.
4. “Church Growth by Soul Winning and Discipleship” Conference with Dr. David Teis in Brazil in July 2014. Fifty sponsors for needy pastors and wives: $240 each couple.
5. Professor David Corrêa, recuperation after bone marrow transplant.
6. Professor Francisco Assis and wife – English school and housing for six months.