Dr. Thomas and Mrs. Linda Gilmer – Church Planter, Bible Translation in São Paulo, Brazil
Dear Friends of Zion:
We are grateful to all who prayed and gave to make our work possible in June and July. A special thanks for those who prayed for funds to help some pastors and their wives who had no means to attend the Bi-Annual Congress of the National Bible Baptist Fellowship (Comunhão Batista Bíblica Nacional) in Recife. God provided! The pastor of our church in Aracati was overcome with joy when he knew he and his wife would be able to go. Their gratitude that God had heard and answered their prayers made us know for sure that God had led Pastor Marcos in his desire to help such needy pastors. See Harold and Lílian’s prayer letter for news concerning the Congress.
MEDICAL UPDATE: On June 24 Linda had cataract surgery on her right eye; and on July 4, on her left eye. She is celebrating renewed eyesight! Once her eyes have healed completely, she will be tested to see if glasses are still necessary; but for the time being, she is praising the Lord and enjoying the improved vision (even if she sees more dust and wrinkles now than before)!
Templo Batista de Indianópolis has moved next door to the property where the construction of the new church building is in progress. The rented facility always appeared to be closed, with no sign indicating its purpose. It turns out that it was a clandestine casino that had been raided! And now it’s a church! The first service was held on June 19. The attendance is increasing. The accommodations are much more ample than the previous building, and from an upstairs window it is possible to observe the progress of the construction of the new building. Pastor Jorge and I met to give out invitations to homes and businesses in surrounding blocks. But so many people walked by, we spent all our time standing on the sidewalk in front of the church, witnessing and giving out tracts to passersby!
Nine days were consumed with the Bienal Secular Book Fair in São Paulo. The secular publisher that printed the book on Bible Preservation by Sephardic Jews, invited the author to remain in their stand. I spent long hours visiting other publishers and book distributors, trying to line up new outlets for Bibles. It was thrilling to see our ACF (faithful) Bibles in various sizes, shapes and covers on sale at the stands of major secular publishers and bookstores.
May God richly bless you all.
Yours for the Messiah,
Tom and Linda Gilmer
- Professions of faith: 10.
- Linda is recuperating well from cataract surgeries.
- Funds arrived for sponsors for the Bi-Annual Congress in Recife. See Harold Ralph’s letter.
- We celebrated our 60th wedding anniversary at our first church on Wednesday night, June 1.
- Templo Batista de Indianópolis relocated next door to property under construction.
- Salvation decisions: Jews and Gentiles.
- Ongoing projects (Bible study helps, both media and printed: larger warehouse for Bibles).
- Full support for Harold Ralph Gilmer.
- Two church anniversaries this month and the 56th anniversary of our arrival in Brazil.
- Ladies’ retreat in September: Linda, Rachel and Roxanne speaking.