Dr. Thomas and Mrs. Linda Gilmer – Church Planter, Bible Translation in São Paulo, Brazil
Dear Friends of Zion:
With gratitude for your faithful prayers and offerings for our ministries, Linda and I trust you had a Happy Chanukah and wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Our deepest sympathies go to Linda’s sister Becky, the wife of Dr. William Michael (Mike) Patterson, former president of Mt. Abarim Baptist Mission, and to their children and grandchildren. Our tribute to this family is best presented by offering a link to watch the moving funeral at Worth Baptist Church: https://youtu.be/Qz347c1Bpsg .
A third, revised edition of the “THE HOLY BIBLE, evangelism presenting THE MESSIAH” (“A BÍBLIA SAGRADA, evangelism apresentando O MESSIAS”), using the faithful Almeida-Corrigida-Fiel (ACF) Scripture text we supply, was printed by a company that publishes specialty Bibles which are sold mainly online and in shopping malls.
The book on Bibliology you have prayed about is now a reality! “THE PRESERVATION OF THE HOLY SCRIPTURES, from the Iberic Jews to the Reformation Age Translations” (“A PRESERVAÇÃO DAS ESCRITURAS SAGRADAS, dos judeus ibéricos às traduções da Era da Reforma”). It is the history of how the most authentic Hebrew Masoretic text was preserved up to the time of the Reformation and the translations like the King James Version in English and the João Ferreira de Almeida in Portuguese (the ACF we publish). A secular publisher printed the book. I had the privilege of working as Editorial Consultant with the Brazilian author, Cristiano Lúcio de Souza, who resided in Canada and worked as a translator at the Toronto International Airport. We were very close by way of telephone and email. I also provided research notes that I began compiling shortly after arriving in Brazil. We trust this much-needed historical Bibliology book will penetrate libraries of secular universities and seminaries.
May God richly bless you all.
Yours for the Messiah,
Tom and Linda Gilmer
- Professions of faith: 34.
- Ordination of Amâncio, pastor of the small church (Parque Bristol) we are helping.
- Baptism of the Jew and his wife mentioned in our October Prayer Letter, from the Jacui congregation led by Templo Batista de Indianópolis.
- Publication of a Bible with a new edition of Evangelism, presenting the Messiah.
- Publication of the Bibliology book for which I served as Editorial Consultant.
- Salvation decisions: Jews and Gentiles.
- Ongoing projects (Bible study helps, both media and printed; larger warehouse for Bibles)
- Full support for Harold Ralph Gilmer.
- Small church (Parque Bristol) needs $6,000 for legal documentation.
- Economic crisis and political instability in Brasil.
- Protection of Israel in light of Iran nuclear threat and rising anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism.