Dr. Thomas and Mrs. Linda Gilmer – Church Planter, Bible Translation in São Paulo, Brazil
Dear Friends of Zion
Even though our “thanks for your faithful prayers and offerings that kept our ministries going for another month” at the beginning of every prayer letter may seem trite, please know we mean it from our hearts!
This past month I was able to participate online in the ordination of Jorge Oliveira, a young man from our first church, now pastoring in Southwest Brazil. Due to the corona lockdown, I could not be there in person, but I was able to participate in the questioning by way of a telephone connection. Jorge´s wife shed tears of joy as she gave her testimony, relating her desire as a child to be the wife of a pastor or missionary.
Thirteen years ago, at a low ebb, I asked the Lord to give us more people to prepare for the ministry. One Sunday shortly thereafter, Jorge showed up at church, saying he wanted to buy “the most accurate Bible text available in the Portuguese language.” Someone in Northeast Brazil told him about us by internet and suggested he look us up. He indicated he had already trusted CHRIST as SAVIOR. I advised him to attend the Emanuel Baptist Church, somewhat closer to his home. He did so and met Pastor Marcos da Silva—and Pastor Marcos’s daughter, Ingrid! Jorge was hired by Templo Batista de Indianópolis (TBI), our first church, as the church secretary, even while he was a member of Emanuel Baptist. After Pastor Marcos was called to pastor TBI, Jorge moved his membership to give full time to the church. Feeling called to the ministry himself, Jorge discontinued his university studies in mathematics and graduated from Bible institute instead. He began a new congregation in his parents’ garage in Vila Jacuí a couple of years ago. Earlier this year, the church in Umuarama called him as pastor, and he and Ingrid and their two little daughters moved there in June. To God be the glory!
Men from Templo Batista de Indianópolis now rotate, leading the services in Vila Jacui. They are looking for a building to rent. We have helped financially since the beginning, but I cautioned them not to make any rental contract depending on our offerings. Pastor Marcos said the congregation, with the help of TBI, will be able to handle the expense. The church in Umuarama will also participate as a mission project. We will continue to help with special needs as the right building is located and is being equipped for services.
May the LORD richly bless you all.
Yours for the MESSIAH,
Tom and Linda Gilmer
- Professions of faith: 2.
- Ordination of Jorge Oliveira.
- Partial victory for the Bible Publishing Ministry (Read Harold Ralph’s letter telling of the miracle of 1/3 of the Reprinting Fund replenished and more than 1,000,000 Bibles that will be printed).
- Salvation decisions: Jews and Gentiles.
- Ongoing projects (Bible study helps, media outlets, warehouse for Bibles, exportation of Bibles to Portuguese speaking people around the world).
- Volunteers for Bible printing and distribution ministry.
- East Timor Tetum Bible translation project.
- Full support for Harold Ralph Gilmer.
- Bible Reprinting Funds ($200,000 still needed).
- Prudence and anointing for soul winning as we move out from the coronavirus lockdown.