Dr. Thomas and Mrs. Linda Gilmer – Church Planter, Bible Translation in São Paulo, Brazil
Dear Friends of Zion:
One more month flew by! Thank you for continuing to pray and contribute to our ministries. Linda will celebrate her 78th birthday this month. She is still active in music, secretarial work, and evangelism, while keeping the house in order and feeding me well!
A pleasant surprise greeted us as we walked into our Emanuel Baptist Church on a recent Wednesday night. Brother Durval, a longtime member, came running up, all smiles, saying that since his early retirement, he is giving full time (Tuesday-Saturday) to volunteer work with the Cristolândia Baptist Mission, whose goal is to win street dwellers and drug addicts to Christ and place them in one of their 10 recuperation homes to prepare them to return to normal life. He said he wins about 17 people a month to Christ but does not have Bibles to give them. We gave him a box of 20 Bibles from the trunk of our car, which is always full of Bibles to give or sell. He told the director of the ministry about us, and the director wrote asking for 343 Bibles to meet an immediate need. Our goal is to meet this and their
ongoing need with funds provided by Brazilian Christians. Our co-worker for many years, 84-year-old Alzira Ramos, a college trained and officially registered social worker, is now also involved in this ministry.
The father of the family of Jewish origin, mentioned in the Praise section of last month’s prayer letter, left Brazil many years ago and has returned to São Paulo with a wife and three children. He had been exposed to the Gospel in a very unorthodox church he had begun attending.in Paraguay, but he now gives evidence of being truly born again. He and his wife were recently legally married and attend our Jacui congregation. He wants to have Sunday school in addition to the Sunday afternoon services. Our first church, Templo Batista de Indianópolis, gave him work during the recent move to the temporary location and is helping his family get set up with household items. They lack a washing machine, which we hope to buy. Next month at a church family outing, Pastor Marcos will have a little ceremony to pray God’s blessings on their marriage, and the church will give them a wedding shower. Praise God for this special opportunity to participate in establishing this family spiritually and materially.
May God richly bless you all.
Yours for the Messiah,
Tom and Linda Gilmer
- Professions of faith: 1 Jew, 20 Gentiles.
- The Android Portuguese Bible App, prepared by Pr. Walter Campelo, is available in the Play Store.
- Director of the Cristolândia Baptist Mission to street dwellers and drug addicts requests Bibles.
- Two members of our churches are working in the Cristolândia ministry.
- Salvation decisions: Jews and Gentiles.
- Ongoing projects (Bible study helps, both media and printed, larger warehouse for Bibles).
- Full support for Harold Ralph Gilmer.
- Even though the Android Bible App prepared by Pr. Campelo is in the Play Store, the IOS Bible App is being held up from the App Store by Apple